In the center of Ventersdorp in the western Transvaal (the “new” capitalist-communist empire in southern Africa, changed the name of that area in “North West province”), near the archs dedicated to Andries Pretorius and to Hendrik Potgieter (built in the first centenary of the Battle of Blood River, 1838-1938) stands a memorial of the Afrikaner Weerstandsbeweging (AWB), which commemorates its 7 fallen men.
The monument consists of a central part, dedicated to three AWB’s men who lost their lives during the Battle of Ventersdorp, on 9th August 1991, when the Boer resistance clashed with the police of the “old” Empire of the RSA, and of a surrounding area, dedicated to four AWB’s men who lost their lives during the mission in Bophuthatswana, betrayed and murdered, on March 1994.
The central part consists of a stone base on which rests a black granite base, from which rises a black obelisk. On the obelisk stands the AWB’s Three-Sevens, sacred symbol that represents the Heavenly Father, and the symbol of the Wenkommando, its main paramilitary force.
An incision, on an other side of the obelisk, reads (in Afrikaans) as follows:
Ter nagedagtenis aan die drie Boere wat die lewe gelaat het met “Die Slag van Ventersdorp” op 9 Augustus 1991
(In memory of the three Boers who lost their lives during the “Battle of Ventersdorp” on 9 August 1991)
and just below the names of three fallen men:
In the area immediately surrounding the obelisk, four blocks of black granite on a stone base, remember the four fallen men, all members of the AWB-Wenkommando:
Gen. Nicolaas Cornelius Fourie
Kol. Alwyn Wolfaardt
Veld. Jacobus Stephanus Uys
Veld. Francois Willem Janse van Rensburg
The official ceremony to honour the fallen Boers in Bophuthatswana, was held by AWB on 15th October 1994. The photos below are about that day.
During the ceremony an other fallen man in Bophuthatswana were commemorated: Francois Alwyn Venter, of the BKA.
Adriana van Rensburg and Ester Wolfaardt, widows of Willem and Alwyn, attended the ceremony, laying at the foot of the monument a flower arrangement depicting the AWB’s flag.
The four blocks of granite, at the time, had a black obelisk each one. The obelisk is generally understood, by many Boers, as finger pointing at the sky and ideally to JHWH.
In 2011 the AWB memorial was transferred to Terre’Blanche farm in Ventersdorp, in front of the grave of Eugene Terre’Blanche.The monument (by K. Pelser) was rebuilt and restored to its original (with a obelisk on each granite block).